1 transpose and remain equal in value; "These operators commute with each other" [syn: transpose]
2 travel back and forth regularly, as between one's place of work and home [syn: travel back and forth]
3 change the order or arrangement of; "Dyslexics often transpose letters in a word" [syn: permute, transpose]
5 exchange or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category; "Could you convert my dollars into pounds?"; "He changed his name"; "convert centimeters into inches"; "convert holdings into shares" [syn: change, exchange, convert]
- Rhymes with: -uːt
- To travel from one's home (usually in the suburbs of a city) to one's workplace (usually in the city itself, or in another city) to go to work, or vice versa.
- In the context of "intransitive|mathematics": To engage in a commutative operation.
- In the context of "transitive|finance": To pay out the lump-sum present value of an annuity.
- In the context of "transitive|law|criminology": To reduce the sentence previously given for a criminal offense.
to regularly travel
Commute or Commutation may refer to:
- Commuting, the process of travelling between a place of residence and a place of work
- Commutativity, a property of a mathematical operation
- Commutation of sentence, a reduction in severity of punishment
- Commutation (neurophysiology), how certain neural circuits in the brain exhibit noncommutativity
- Tonggeun, a class of train in Korea which translates to "Commuter"
- Commutation, a synonym for switching in computer networking and telecommunications
- Commutation, the action of applying currents or voltages to the proper electrical motor phases so as to produce optimum motor torque at a motor's shaft. See Commutator (electric).
- Commutation, where a member of a pension scheme gives up part or their entire pension in exchange for an immediate lump sum payment. It is also known as a cash option.
commute in Czech: Komutace
commute in German: Kommutation
commute in French: Commutation
alternate, bandy, be quits with, change, change for, compensate, compound for, convert, cooperate, counterchange, course, cover ground, dub in, exchange, fare, fare forth, fetch, flit, flow, gang, get back at, get even with, give and take, give place to, go, go along, hie, interchange, logroll, make do with, make way for, metamorphose, move, move along, move on, offer in exchange, pass, pay back, permute, progress, put up with, reciprocate, redeem, requite, respond, retaliate, return, return the compliment, ring in, roll, roll on, run, sashay, shift with, stream, substitute, swap, switch, take in exchange, trade, transfer, transfigure, translate, transmogrify, transmute, transpose, travel, wayfare, wend